How to Apply for The Saltire Scholarships in Scotland in 2023
The Saltire Scholarships in Scotland is a highly competitive and selective award that recognizes outstanding academic achievement at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Each year, thousands of students across the country apply for the scholarships which The Saltire Group administers. The group sponsors its awards and those offered through other organizations. The Saltire Scholarships in Scotland are commonly referred to as “the saltire” due to their shape: two crossed diagonal lines forming an S shape. Depending on where you live, this could be your local geographical landmark or symbol for Scotland in general. Either way, this simple symbol signifies what many Scots consider one of the most generous and rewarding funding opportunities available for students studying in the country.
If you’ve ever wanted to go to uni but didn’t know where to start, the Saltire Scholarship program is for you. This scholarship fund was set up in 1964 by the Church of Scotland to support students studying at Scotland’s religious universities. These are The University of Divinity, The University of St Andrew, and The University of the West of Scotland. If you’re reading this and you’re an 18-year-old lady from a reasonably well-off family in Scotland, congratulations! You have been accepted into one of these universities and will receive a bursary that covers fees and living costs. But what do the scholarships award? And how do you apply? Let’s look at the 23 steps that will get you on the path to winning one.
Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships 2023-2024 batch is announced, and the late online applications are still being accepted until June 12, 2023. Scotland’s Saltire is a program of scholarships offered by the Scottish Government in collaboration with Scottish universities in science, technology, creative industries, healthcare, medical sciences, and renewable and clean energy.
Scottish Universities offer most degree programs in the English language to international students. Therefore most of the Universities in Scotland require English language proficiency proof. Therefore, IELTS is required for admission in Scotland. Still, if you hold any other acceptable English Language proficiency certificate, you can apply for admission or a scholarship in Scotland without IELTS. The most acceptable IELTS alternative exams in Scottish Universities are; the Secure English Language Test (SELT), TOEFL, Duolingo (DET), PTE, or iBT TOEFL. But only a few Scotland Universities accept IELTS alternative scores.
What is the Saltire Scholarship?
The Saltire Scholarship is a bursary fund that has been funding students from the religious universities of Scotland for more than 50 years. The purpose of the funding is to encourage students to study at universities and to support those unable to go to university due to financial circumstances. The funds were initially set up to support students in the Faculty of Divinity at the University of Glasgow, which was later absorbed into The University of Divinity. The funds are still gratefully received by the former student body.
Why Scotland Saltire Scholarships?
Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships are an incredible opportunity to study in a country with world-leading universities and a long tradition of academic excellence. Our chosen scholars aspire to become influential leaders in their future careers. In addition, they have wide-ranging interests outside their studies and a desire to broaden their personal and academic experience in Scotland.
Scholarships are available to citizens of the following countries: Canada, China (including Hong Kong), India, Japan, Pakistan, and the USA.
Funding Benefits of Saltire Scholarships:
- The Saltire Scholarships offers up to 50 awards, each worth £8000, towards tuition fees for any one-year full-time study on a postgraduate Master’s program at any of Scotland’s higher education institutions.
- Saltire Scholars will also have the opportunity to participate in a program of activities over and above their studies, including dialogue with Scotland's academic and business community.
- As one of our Saltire Scholars, you’ll act as an ambassador for the Saltire Scholarships program and Scotland.
- Any additional costs and expenses are the responsibility of the student.
Eligible Courses for Scotland Saltire Scholarships:
The course must be a postgraduate Masters level course in one of the following subject areas:
- Creative Industries
- Healthcare and medical sciences
- Renewable and clean energy
Saltire Scholarships Applications Eligibility Criteria:
To be eligible for a Saltire Scholarship, candidates must:
- Have a conditional or unconditional offer of a place at a Scottish university on an eligible course that will be delivered physically in Scotland via distance online learning or a combination of both.
- Be a citizen of Canada, India, Japan, USA, Pakistan, or China (Hong Kong citizens are also eligible as it is a Special Administrative Region of China).
- Be able to demonstrate that they can meet the costs of living in Scotland (where this is applicable) and the remaining tuition fees.
- Not have previously studied in Scotland.
- Not have previously received a Saltire Scholarship.
- Meet the language requirements of the course.
How to Apply for The Saltire Scholarships in Scotland
The applications for the Saltire Scholarships in Scotland are now closed, and the successful candidates will be announced in early December. You will need to: - Be a full-time student (or part-time) in a recognized program at the chosen university. - Have been a full-time student for the past two years. - Be based in Scotland for the past two years. - Be admitted to the university for the upcoming year. - Be in your 20s/30s/40s. - Be able to provide proof of eligibility to attend university and pay for it. - Be willing to comply with the University’s rules and regulations. - Be prepared to write an essay on a relevant topic related to your chosen university and the bursary program. - Be willing to defend your thesis/dissertation/project in a grilled-oral format. - Have good communication and organizational skills.
How to Apply for The Saltire Scholarships in Scotland Step by Step
Applying is the first step towards winning one of the Saltire Scholarships in Scotland. You can find the application form and instructions for how to use it on the official Saltire website. Next, you’ll need to gather all the required documentation to apply for the program. The documentation includes: - An application form. - A detailed explanation of why you want to study at the university. - A recent picture of yourself. - A recent passport-size photograph. - Two recent letters of recommendation. - Two recent bills or paychecks. - Two recent census snapshots. - Two recent passport photos. - Two recent job certificates. - A recent bank statement. - Two recent utility bills. - Two recent credit card statements. - A recent government-issued identification. - Two recent employment agency contacts. - Two recent bank account numbers. - Two recent phone numbers. - A recent magazine subscription. - A recent ad in a newspaper. - A recent purchase at a local store. - A current business card. - Two recent emails. - Two recent Facebook profile pictures. - Two recent letters of recommendation from your relatives.
General Application Procedure For Saltire Scholarships:
Please complete the application form on these web pages, including the unique reference number you will have received in the offer letter from your Scottish university. In addition, before you apply for a postgraduate degree in Scotland, you must make sure that you meet the entrance requirements of your chosen degree.
- From the official website (Link given at the end), fill out the Saltire Scholarship Application Form.
- Fill out the mandatory sections of the application forms.
- Attach all the required documents with the application form.
- Universities set their deadlines for Scottish Scholarship application Submissions, so check the closing dates for applications with the institutions you wish to apply to.
Final Words: How to Apply for The Saltire Scholarships in Scotland
The application process can be a long and challenging one. Still, with a bit of luck, persistence, and a good understanding of the application process, you’ll one day walk into a university in Scotland and be able to start your studies there. The guidance and support you’ll receive from the application team at the university will be much appreciated, and you’ll be well on your way to winning one of the Saltire Scholarships in Scotland.
Application Deadline Scotland Saltire Scholarships: June 12, 2023
More You Should Not Miss:
Get More You need to know before Proceeding with the Application;
- USA Immigration - https://bit.ly/usa-immigrations
- Canada Immigration - https://bit.ly/canada-immigrations
- World Immigration - https://bit.ly/world-immigrations
- Employment Opportunities - https://bit.ly/abroad-employments
- Education Opportunities - https://bit.ly/abroad-scholarship-programs
- Homepage explore - https://bit.ly/immigration-center