Tips for Finding a Sponsor Employer for a Temporary U.S. Work Visa

You cannot apply for a nonimmigrant (temporary) visa to work in the U.S. until you have an employer willing to offer you a job and act as your petitioner in the application process. Yet finding a job when you don't yet have any right to work in the U.S. is a huge challenge. Sponsoring a foreign worker for a U.S. job may be quicker and easier through a nonimmigrant visa than through a green card.

Tips for Finding a Sponsor Employer for a Temporary U.S. Work Visa

Understand the U.S. Nonimmigrant Work Visa Options

As talented as you might be, the United States government only authorizes labor-based nonimmigrant visas for people in certain limited categories. The most likely visas include, in brief:

  • E-3. Nationals of Australia who will work in a specialty occupation that requires a bachelor's degree (B.A.) or higher education.
  • H-1B. Workers in a specialty occupation that requires at least a B.A., or else it's equivalent in on-the-job experience. This category also included distinguished fashion models.
  • H-1C. Registered nurses who will work in areas where health professionals are in short supply.
  • H-2A. Temporary agricultural workers who will fill positions that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has recognized as facing a labor supply shortage.
  • H-2B. Workers of various kinds who will perform temporary jobs for which there is a shortage of available, qualified U.S. workers.
  • O-1. People of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics.
  • O-2. Essential support staff of people with O-1 visas.
  • P-1. Internationally recognized athletes and entertainers and their essential support staff.
  • R-1. Ministers and other workers of recognized religions.

We've left off of this list various visas in narrower categories, say, where your existing employer might arrange for a short training stint in the U.S., or you might come as part of a group to give an artistic performance.

After reviewing this list, you might develop a better idea of which of your job skills can be put toward finding a job in an existing visa category.

Identify U.S. Employers in Need

Even when U.S. unemployment levels are high, there are always some employers who cannot find the workers they need, whether it's based on location, specialized job skills, or something else. Such employers might be happy to help someone from another country obtain a nonimmigrant visa to work in the United States.

Look through want ads and at job posting websites for companies hiring large numbers of employees or that have been posting the same job for months. Those employers might be feeling desperate and might be more willing to go through the immigration process (which can be lengthy, complicated, and expensive) to fill their employment needs.

Look for Employers With Experience Hiring Foreign Workers

Employers with a history of hiring foreign workers are more likely to hire you than employers that don't have much experience with the process. Because immigration law is complicated, they might not even know what their options are. Some large corporations have entire departments and in-house lawyers dedicated to bringing in foreign workers.

But even a smaller employer who has been through the process before, and successfully so, may be interested in bringing foreign workers to fill their needs. Keep your eyes open for employers who are advertising abroad. Also read the company's press releases or online self-descriptions regarding hiring foreign workers.

Use and Expand Your Network of U.S. Connections

Start by asking everyone you know (including, of course, in your online social networks) whether they know anyone who has been hired by a company in the United States. Then contact those people to ask how they found their jobs, and whether they know of any openings or can ask around.

Contact the U.S. Employers

Once you identify employers that might be willing to hire foreign workers, you have to reach out to them. Use any names you might have as connections and try to have a name of a specific person at the employer to contact. Even if no job opening has been posted, there's no harm in sending a resume and a letter introducing yourself, just in case. If a job has been posted, carefully follow the application guidelines.

In preparing your resume, be sure to read U.S.-authored books on what's expected in terms of style and tone. You might even want to ask someone from the United States to review and edit your resume. Remember, it will be your responsibility to prove to the employer that your skills and talents are worth the time and money that it will have to spend in order to bring you to the United States to work.

Sponsoring a foreign worker for a U.S. job may be quicker and easier through a nonimmigrant visa than through a green card. Sometimes, too, a nonimmigrant visa may provide a way for an employer to employ a green card candidate during the typically long time it takes to get a green card.

As the prospective employer of a foreign worker, the first questions you'll face are eligibility questions: whether any of the work-authorizing nonimmigrant visa categories will fit the job you have open and the candidate you have in mind.

Nonimmigrant visa categories cover many kinds of workers, from seasonal laborers to multinational executives, from pastors to celebrity chefs. Despite the apparent variety, however, many jobs will fall through the eligibility cracks. Each category is narrowly defined, imposing specific requirements on both employer and employee. (See the articles under, "Work Visas (Nonimmigrant)" for a complete listing of nonimmigrant visa categories.)

Once you've found a nonimmigrant visa category that will serve, what remains is procedure: which government agencies to approach and how to approach them. We summarize the basic procedures here, as critical background for our detailed descriptions of the procedures for individual visa types in other articles. You can steer clear of some common mistakes by understanding a few fundamental features of the immigration bureaucracy.

Not All Workers Need an Actual "Visa," But All Need Immigration "Status"

Everyday speech makes loose use of the word "visa" to mean a foreigner's authorization to be in the United States. Technically, though, a U.S. visa is a travel document issued by the State Department to allow its holder to enter the United States, and it does not control the holder's immigration "status" within the United States.

Very often, this is a distinction that doesn't make much difference, and that is why even immigration lawyers (including Nolo authors) don't always observe it. In the procedural context, however, the distinction becomes important, as you and your prospective foreign worker need to know what you're asking for -- a "visa" or "status" -- and which agencies to ask in order to get it.

Which U.S. Government Agencies to Deal With for Initial Approvals

To sponsor a worker in the H-1B category, to use a common example, you will first need to deal with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), which has a say over the wage and terms you can offer an H-1B employee. Next, you will petition U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), describing the job offered and the prospective employee's qualifications. If your prospective employee is already in the U.S. in another nonimmigrant status – F-1 student status, for example – USCIS will be the end of your procedural road, and Form I-94 (granting a period of stay in H-1B status) will be issued to your employee when your petition is approved. Your employee will be in H-1B status without ever getting an H-1B visa.

If, however, your prospective H-1B employee is outside the U.S., two more agencies must approve the employment and confer their authorization before that employee can come work for you: the U.S. State Department, which will issue an H-1B visa allowing the prospective employee to travel to the U.S., and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), which will issue Form I-94 at the place of entry, admitting the employee for a set period of time in H-1B status.

Other nonimmigrant worker categories present variations on this procedural pattern. The L, O, P, Q, and R categories follow the same basic pattern as H, but without the involvement of the DOL. Some categories – L and TN – allow for the employer's petition to be presented directly to CBP, without the prior involvement of USCIS. The E visa category requires no prior employer petition for a prospective employee outside the U.S., but the visa application your employee presents to the State Department consulate abroad will be far more substantial than an H or L visa application, which are based on approved USCIS petitions.

After Your Nonimmigrant Worker Starts Working: Which U.S. Government Agencies to Approach for Followup or Extensions

Even after your nonimmigrant worker has successfully navigated the bureaucratic maze and landed safely on your payroll, procedural pitfalls may lie ahead if you'd like that worker to stick around as long as possible. You or your workers will need to keep track of the expiration dates of their status, visa, or both, and approach the appropriate government agencies for further benefits.

That H-1B worker who changed status from F-1, for instance: Even if only a year has passed since USCIS granted three years in H-1B status, your H-1B worker can't go home on vacation and re-enter the U.S. to resume working for you without obtaining an H-1B visa first. Remember, it's an entry document. And while USCIS conferred H-1B status within the U.S., only the State Department, through one of its consulates, can authorize your employee to re-enter the U.S.

By the same token, a worker admitted on a five-year E-2 visa can't simply stay in the U.S. for five years. CBP will most likely grant only a two-year period of stay on Form I-94 when your E-2 worker enters. Before the I-94 expires, either you or your worker will need to take some action: Your worker can travel and re-enter on the E-2 visa, receiving a new two-year I-94, or you can file a petition with USCIS to extend your worker's stay.

Examples could be multiplied practically indefinitely, but you will not want to trouble yourself with bureaucratic intricacies unless you have a practical reason to do so in the shape of a particular worker you're sponsoring. The larger point is that the interplay of authority among government agencies sometimes makes the procedures for obtaining and maintaining the immigration status of nonimmigrant workers complicated and counterintuitive.

You May Need a Lawyer

You can obtain application forms and detailed filing instructions from the government agencies mentioned above that govern nonimmigrant workers – the Department of Labor (Hs only), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the U.S. State Department, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Because the procedures are far from intuitive, however, you may want to consider consulting an immigration lawyer when you're thinking of hiring a nonimmigrant worker.

Even if you are quite certain that your position and your job candidate fit one of the nonimmigrant categories, and even though the forms and filing instructions are available on the websites of the relevant agencies, expert advice could make the difference between success and failure in hiring a nonimmigrant worker and maintaining that worker in proper immigration status.