Customers with smartphones supporting the FDD-LTE Band 3 (1800MHz) network will be able to access Vodafone’s 4G services in the National Capital Region. The rollout in the region follows introduction of the services in Kerala, Karnataka, and Kolkata.
The company – which is the second largest telecom operator in India in terms of subscribers – said the 4G data packs will be available across price ranges, starting from Rs. 11 for 35MB of data, up to Rs. 2,499 for 20GB.
As with other mobile operators, Vodafone is also offering a free upgrade to 4G SIM cards for its existing customers, including doorstep delivery of the SIM card (for requests received before 4pm the same day). Users can exchange SIM cards in only select outlets, however, new customers can buy a 4G SIM in all outlets.
The telecom operator added that 4G users will get 4G international roaming access in the UK, Romania, Spain, and the Netherlands.
Here are the steps to switch to a Vodafone 4G SIM:
1. Walk in to a nearby Vodafone Store and place your request for 4G-ready SIM.
2. After proper identification process and 4G-enabled handset compatibility check by Vodafone staff, you will receive the new 4G-SIM card.
3. To activate the card, use your existing Vodafone number to SMS ‘SIMEX <your 19-20 digit new 4G SIM card number>’ to 55199 (this number will be available on the new SIM card/jacket given to you)
4. You will receive a response SMS from 55199 with partial SIM number entered.
5. Send the last 6 digits of the new SIM number to 55199 within 2 hours of receiving the SMS mentioned in the above step.
6. You will receive a success SMS, post which your 4G-Ready SIM will be activated within 5-10 minutes.
7. Subsequently, replace your old SIM in the handset with the new 4G-Ready SIM and continue to use Vodafone services without interruption.